Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Matron Of Honor

In 11 days one of my favorite girls is getting married, and I will be her Matron Of Honor. Actually, she's more than just one of my favorite girls, she's my daughter of the heart...
Mallory Gail McMillin
.

My husband (Ryan) and I met Mallory when she was entering her first year of Junior High School and we "adopted" her immediately. In lots of ways (personality being a huge one) she was a spitting image of me! So I took her under my wing and began a mentoring relationship that has blessed my life so very much!

And over the past 11 years, we've been through a lot together! She means more to my husband and I than words can say!

She has become my "Mal Mal", my "Teeny Tiny Baby Girl", my "#2 Pookers", my "Minnie Me", my "Tiny Tiny"... and "Mallerina" to my boys.

Many memories of my life in Lees Summit involve Mallory and most of those memories were pivotal points in my life...

~She was the first person that Ryan told that he was going to propose to me! (That's a whole nother story...let's just say when you tell ANY 13 year old girl that her mentors will soon be marrying each other, but not to tell, she will not be able to control tears, giggles and sighs every time she sees the unsuspecting, clueless girlfriend!)

~She and Klarissa Lash were always the first students to find out when we were pregnant. And they were also the first students to find out what we'd be naming our babies (we always kept it a secret).

~Mallory was also at each of my boys' births. Every. single. one. I always called her when I was in labor, so the second they were born, she was there. (She would have been there for Liberty's birth, but that story is a bit more complicated!)

We've always said, she's "the big sister"...

Mal with Trusten...

Mal with Brahm...

Mal with Samuel...


And now my husband and I are on the other end. The tables have turned...and it's a wonderful (but emotional!) experience!

~Getting that first phone call from her at college saying there was a guy she really wanted us to meet!

~Then the day Camden called to meet with Ryan and get his blessing to propose to Mallory was so surreal! That whole day I just kept saying, "I can't believe she going to be a wife!!!"

~Seeing her try on her wedding dress, I could hardly speak!

In lots of ways, I still see her as the little girl in braces!

...But the truth is, my husband and I have seen her grow from a carefree, spunky girl into a God-fearing, poised young woman.

Over the years, I can recall countless times that I (and sometimes my husband) sat up with her late at night crying, counseling, consoling, directing...oh yeah, and threatening :)


And now in just a few days, Ryan will be officiating her wedding and I'll be standing right at her side. She'll be starting her new life as a help mate to sweet and wonderful Camden Pulliam... the perfect leader for Mallory!

I feel like most of my investments of time, tears, late night talks, lectures and yes, even the threats, have been leading up to this...her wedding day...The beginning of her life as Mrs Camden Pulliam.

I love her so much and I couldn't be more proud of the woman she is and the man who chose her to be his helper.

Though she has an amazing (real-life!) momma, she really, truly is like a daughter to me...and she is most certainly one of my bestest friends!


I love you, Tiny Tiny!
It's been an honor watching you grow and mature into the Godly woman you are!

I have no doubts that you will be a wonderful help mate to Camden!
He is blessed to call you his beloved!

I am so VERY thankful for you...
and so VERY proud of you!!!

Love~~Your Mama Girl

This post is linked to Wednesday's Walk Down Memory Lane at The Goodwin Family blog!

17 comments:

Candace said...

That was such a touching post! I must admit, I got a little teary eyed!

Kasey said...

It's a rare and beautiful thing when a young girl has a woman like that to look up to and learn from. What a mutual blessing you two must be to each other! Wishing she and her soon-to-be hubby all the best and God's blessing on their marriage!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

beautiful smiles,
very uplifting post!

Unknown said...

Such a neat post-I needed a happy moment today. Thanks for sharing. You do look quite a bit a like. What a neat time the two of you have had these last few years and now what a neat time it will be as you get to continue to grow as wives and moms (some day) too.
Hope you have a blessed time.
Love
Jill

Marjie R said...

So sweet! What's cute is that she hasn't grown that much since Jr. High! Seeing the pics from Jr. High and then a few weeks ago shows that she really is a tiny tiny!

One of my favorite memories is the night Camden proposed and you and Ryan were nervous Mother hens waiting for "the call." Too cute!

mallory pulliam said...

I commented on facebook too but I just feel overwhelmed with gratitude for all of these years. Ryan and you even took me on a date night with you guys! 8th grade was literally the hardest year of my life and God provided you two to challenge me in my faith and to just love me. And it didn't end after that year...you continued to encourage me and build a relationship with me over the years. Thank you for being used by the Lord! All of those late night talks paid off! : ) I love you more than you'll ever know, Grace!!!

Dorcas said...

Beautiful! Congrats!

~blessings

Dorcas

Raising Saints said...

Can't wait to see pictures!!! You are both so beautiful! Congratulations!!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Oh this is so sweet. What a special blessing!

Anonymous said...

How sweet!

Sara S. said...

This totally made me cry! You too are two of my favorite girls in the entire universe, and this was just a beautiful testimony of your friendship and God's working in yoru lives. Love you both and I can't wait for June 18th! :)

Linda said...

Friendship is certainly a blessing from God!

Happy Story!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

What a sweet post about a beautiful friendship! Love it!

The Blackley Tribe said...

i knew her first...just sayin... :)
-jason

Diana said...

Oh how sweet! What a beautiful loving post. Such a blessing to have an enduring friendship such as you gals have. Congratulations to Mallory! God's love and grace upon your new life to come! {hugz}

gianna said...

Oh, wow! What a blessing! Wow! I can't even put into words my thoughts. One thing is that I think you are beautiful and so is Mallory.

Oh, I need your address so you can receive your father's day card you won.

you can email me at kordatzky3@yahoo.com!

Kari said...

Touching post. Got chills with the photos of her with your kids. How special to have that kind of relationship with her. She's beautiful. You're beautiful. You sort of look like Ashley Judd! Anybody ever told you that?

Related Posts with Thumbnails