Monday, May 17, 2010

Quiet Times: With My Kids, For My Kids

In my last post, I talked about how after the kids and I have finished breakfast and our morning chores, we gather in the living room for "Devotions".

This is one of my favorite parts of our mornings and I wanted to share it...

Each boy picks out a Bible (we have a shelf with a wide range of Children's Bibles...keep your eye out for them at
garage sales and start collecting!) and they pick a spot on the couch.

I turn on worship music and we sit in silence while we "read" our Bibles.

Most mornings we start out this time, by each of us simply praying out loud, one-by-one,
"Jesus, speak to me."  There is NOTHING more precious to me than hearing this phrase come from the mouth of my little boys each morning!

By teaching my boys this habit, my prayer is that they will not only grow used to
listening for the Lord, but that they will learn how to recognize His voice.  And every once in a while, my  heart is SO blessed when a boy (usually my 5 year old) will say afterwards, "Momma!  Jesus said __________ to me!"  It's almost always one of the 10 commandments or just "I love you"...THOSE are amazing moments for them and me!!!

Since Trusten is the only one even close to reading, this time of "Devotions" mainly means they look at the pictures and as they see a familiar lesson, they reflect on what they've heard in the past.

And for me, this is a perfect opportunity to get
my Bible reading in!  I usually only get one chapter read, but it's often just what I need to lift my gaze and keep me in step with the Spirit!

We end our Devotion time with the boys gathering around to pray.  Usually each boy picks someone or something they want to pray for, but we always pray for our daddy.

I know that I'll remember these precious, group morning devotions forever!  Looking around the room and seeing my boys quietly studying their Bibles is a humbling sight for me!  Then to hear them as their prayers grow and mature is such a blessing to my heart!

This post is linked to Momentous Monday hosted by my friend Tiffany(...check out her blog, they are soon adopting from Ethiopia!)
and it's also linked to...
BWS tips button

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to work on times like that with my boys, because right now I have to work, and juggle many hats, I haven't found a system that works for us. Night-time prayers are a must, but as for daily devotion time with my kids.....that just doesn't happen.

Thanks for giving me a reminder of how important it is!

Love ya,

Jess

cooperkelly4 said...

Yay! I love this post. So sweet and the habit you are forming by example is precious. This is something we do too. =0)

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

what a wonderful and inspiring post. I hope I can remember this idea when I have children.

I awarded you with an award on my blog (you can pick it up whenever you have time) because your blog really inspires me. Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful ideas and thoughts.

Blessings,
Kate

Gwen T said...

So vital to instill those good habits in our kids -- thanks for the good reminder and ideas!

Amy said...

What a sweet post! I literally had a conversation with my kids about how to hear God's voice last night. I really like how you pray to start the devotional time. I will remember that. One thing we do is read a chapter out of the Bible each day (I have kids a little older) and I am amazed at the insight God gives them. Keep at your training. What a blessing.

Amy @ http://missionalmamassoul.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I love this!! We spend time at night talking to God with our little ones. I think I will incorporate this into our morning routine. I usually have my time with God in the morning...it makes perfect sense to have family time with God in the morning as well.
Thank you for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Your children are beautiful! How truly blessed they are to have you as their mother. You are raising them right, precious mommy! Keep up the good work of the Lord :-)

mallory pulliam said...

I love this, Grace. You are doing a great job being a mom...I know there are probably times when you don't feel like that but just know that I've never known a more intentional mother than you. Thank you for being such a wonderful example! Love you and I'm so proud of you!!

Laura said...

hey Grace, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of this one but we just bought the "Baby's Hug a Bible" by Sally Lloyd Jones for little Moriah - it's really simple and in board book style with easy rhyming and very Christ centered renditions of ten Bible stories... I bet Trusten could read some of it to Liberty eventually with a little practice :)
http://www.amazon.com/Babys-Hug-Bible-Sally-Lloyd-jones/dp/0061566217

Julie said...

Your children are blessed to have parents who are training them to meditate on His word. what a treasure!

Tiffany said...

This is such a wonderful legacy that you are leaving your children - teaching them to communicate with God and get into His word each morning. I am inspired and encouraged by this post. Now that we are done with preschool, and will no longer have a "Bible class" each morning, I think I will give this a try! Thanks for posting and linking up!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Oh how I love this! I feel as if our days fly right by us, and we've lost sight of what is truly important ~ spending time in His word. How wonderful! I want to start doing this.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :)

Julie said...

Thanks for linking up!

Snapshotsofhappiness said...

What a great way to start your day with your children! I remember devotion time with my parents. I need to be more consistent with devotion time with my children.

And about bathing in your undies at in your grandma's yard. Yep did that too! Crazy what happens when you live in the country! We used to get so dirty my Pop would strips us down to our undies and spray us with the hose before letting us inside. :)

Heather said...

This is so wonderful that you do this with your children! It is a wonderful idea and I will definitely be starting this with my son. He is only 17 months old but we have the Jesus Story Book Bible and we can start looking through that in the morning. :)

Caroline said...

This is so great and I love it !! Thanx for sharing this.

Caroline

jamers said...

How precious! What a joy to get to see your children digging into God's Word and knowing Jesus will speak to them at such a young age. Great training! :) So glad I hopped over from the Momentous Monday group.
Blessings!
Jane Ann

Dorcas said...

Thank you this brought tears to my eyes. This is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

~blessings

Dorcas

Related Posts with Thumbnails