Monday, April 12, 2010

MckLinky Monday--Share A Favorite Healthy Recipe!

Last week, I started a new dealy bop called "MckLinky Monday" and did a "tell me about your Easter" post...since a few of you joined in, I'm gonna keep going with it!  Every week it'll be a random topic you can write about and come back and link us all to it!

So since I've been sharing how I lost 30 lbs of extra weight, I thought for this "MckLinky Monday" we could share some healthy recipes!
Here's a favorite of ours from The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook...

Meatball Hoagies:
-Olive oil spray
-2 egg whites
-1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
-1/4 cup fat-free milk
-1/2 cup parsley
-1 Tablespoon minced onion
-1/2 teaspoon oregano
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
-1 pound lean ground beef (but we usually use ground turkey because it's cheaper!)
-1 jar of sphagetti sauce
(note: Biggest Loser has a marinera recipe, but when we compared nutritional value to pre-made products like "Ragu" we noticed very little difference, so now we just use a pre-made jar and save on time!)

Preheat oven to 400*.  Lightly coat a large non-stick baking sheet with olive oil spray.

In medium bowl, mix together egg white, oats and milk with fork until well combined.  Add the parsley, onion, oregano, garlic powder, salt and crushed red pepper flakes and mix until combined.  Mix in the beef or turkey until well combined.

Make about 32 uniform meatball (each about 1 1/4" diameter--a little bigger than a ping pong ball).  Roll the balls with your hands and arrange, not touching, on the prepared baking sheet.  

Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.

This makes 4 (8 meatball) servings.

Wanna know the good news?!

8 meatballs are only 194 calories!!!!!!!  With about 26 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat and 2 grams of fiber!!!

Once you have the meatballs made, we like to let them simmer in spaghetti sauce on the stove.

Then we take (healthy, wheat) hoagie bread, toast it open-faced for about 7 minutes in the 400* oven.

But you can also put the meatballs and sauce over a bed of Rozoni Healthy Harvest pasta.  Both are delicious choices!!!

So what about you?  What is a favorite healthy recipe that your family enjoys?

Link it up below!  And don't forget to also make sure you're entered for my 2 giveaways by Tuesday night!!!  Click here to do that!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

We made meatballs for dinner, not this exact recipe, Graycen can't have milk, but a variation. The boys enjoyed them!

Melanie Eccles said...

Grace Anne, Your comment on my blog made me laugh hysterically! I love that the internet made it look like I love to actually HUNT! ah,hahaha! THAT would be a sight to behold!

And yes, I DO need more yoga!

Corrie said...

This recipe looks so yummy! Gaylen's been trying to lose weight and so we've made some lifestyle changes to support him in his endeavor. The kids are enjoying learning about healthy habits as we go. We'll definitely try this recipe soon.

Janae Moss said...

mmmmmm! Do you do give aways on food ;)

Christine (iDreamofClean) said...

Can't believe I just saw this! I was just thinking that I need more healthy recipes so I'm going to check out these links. Since the linky is closed, I thought I'd share my favorite healthy dessert here in the comments...
http://www.christinesatterfield.com/2010/02/healthy-recipe-chicken-pita.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails