Friday, April 30, 2010

Losing 30 lbs--Part 5 (What God Did)

As I said, in "Part 2", I wish I could say this is where and how my journey began, but it didn't.  At the beginning of my journey, I had put (what I thought was) all the right things into place so that I could have the best chances of succeeding: accountability, a partner, even a Bible Study on weight loss... But I neglected to ask the Lord for his help and his blessing.

In other words, I had made it all about me...until I hit "the wall" (picture #2)

 (beginning)               (-20 lbs)                   (-30 lbs)

"The wall" I'm talking about came after I had steadily lost 20 lbs and then the weight loss just stopped.  At first I was encouraged by others who told me to keep going and after a week or two I'd notice a decline in my weight again...but after two months, there was still no change in my inches or my weight.  I was discouraged and didn't know what to do.

One Saturday, defeated, I went for a walk...alone.  I spent the time evaluating, criticizing myself and letting my thoughts get the best of me...

What was going on with my body?  Why wasn't my hard work paying off anymore?  How long was it going to take for me to lose this extra weight?  Was my willpower going to run out soon?  Did I need to start exercising harder and more frequently? How could I keep putting my family first, but still do what I needed to do to lose weight?

Then I heard the Lord speak to me!  I was so surprised to hear His voice I actually stopped walking.  I knew He wanted my attention so I just stood and listened.  He told me to "Seek first my kingdom and my righteousness and all these things would be added to you".  Really Lord?  Even something as trivial as weight loss?  You really care about that?

And He answered: Yes.  And in everything you do, do it for my glory...not your own.

Ouch.  I started walking again...thinking, pondering...hmmm...His glory.  THAT had been my missing "link".  All along, I had been doing it for me, for my "gain", for my glory, for my purposes.  I had left God out.

In that moment, I was feeling so foolish for all my selfish attempts to change me and bring myself "glory".  I was actually a little embarrassed too...God had caught me in the ugliness of my flesh.  He saw my yuck, my vanity, my pride.  He saw that I had forgotten Him...yet He came to me...but when He did, all I wanted to do was hide from Him.

I had a little glimpse of what Adam and Eve felt in the garden.

Thankfully, the Lord saved me from that too.  In one instant I went from wanting to hide myself, to realizing how faithful it was of the Lord to show me my unfaithfulness to Him.  Whoa.

So for the first time I talked to Lord, at length, about my weight...and all my worries, hopes, sinful attitudes, selfish ambitions, vain conceits, confusion and self-pity.  I got very honest with the Lord.

After walking and talking with the Lord for about an hour, I walked home with a new hope.  And this time, my hope wasn't rooted in my great ideas or in my "fail-proof" plan...it was rooted in the Lord.

From then on, I did just as He told me...I changed my focus.  I started seeking first His Kingdom and His Righteousness (plus, just seeking out what this meant for me) and when He would add spare time to my day, I'd exercise.

I started eating healthy because it glorified Him when I took care of my temple...not because I feared the calories.

And honestly, I can't tell you exactly *how* I lost those last 10 lbs...because I was basically still eating the same and exercising the same ways.  But one thing I do know is that the Lord was faithful to what He said to me.  He helped me lose my extra weight.  It may sound corny, but it's true. 
  (beginning)               (-20 lbs)                   (-30 lbs)
The Lord came to my rescue.  He not only rescued me from myself, from my idolatry, and my own ambitions, but He also rescued me by coming as a Helper in my desire to honor Him with my temple.

I still have another 5-10 lbs that I would like to loose...that would put me back at my college/wedding day weight.

But, I'm still seeking Him first, and exercising when I can, so I trust that if He wants me to get there, I will.  And for now, I'll be content in knowing that He has me just where He wants me!


Also in this series:
Losing 30 lbs--Part 1 (My Story)
Losing 30 lbs--Part 2 (How I Did It)
Losing 30 lbs--Part 3 (How I Ate)
Losing 30 lbs--Part 4 (Exercising with 4 Little Kids at Home)

13 comments:

Laura said...

I think you look as lovely as ever... I've been remembering when I first met you and you'd sit so that your baby bump poked out when you were first pregnant with Trusten - I think I'm doing the same thing, except now mine's pretty obvious little Moriah doesn't need my extra "help" to be noticed :)

Danielle said...

I'm so glad He is faithful and let's us know what He wants from us! I am so happy for you and you are such an encouragement! That was hard work on your part but with His help, you were able to accomplish His will for you! Way to go Grace!! Thanks for sharing and being so transparent!! Love to hear what the Lord is doing in other people's lives! Thanks for letting us in!

cooperkelly4 said...

Yay Grace! What a wonderful post. I had a very similar experience and how sweet to know not only does the Lord have a plan for every.single.area of our lives, but it even includes the stuff that we think He may not find important. Thanks for sharing your vulnerability. =0) Kelly
http://lovinglifeslittlemoments.blogspot.com

Sara S. said...

You are such an encouragement my dear friend...I have shared my own struggle with you in this department, and although I have definitely lost some weight, I have kind of hit that plateau that you were speaking of earlier. You reminded me that I need to put the Lord in the center of EVERYTHING...even my battle with losing weight. Thank you for being so honest with us. Love you dearie and can't wait to see you soon!!!

Nicci Lynn said...

I just have to say you are motivating me for when this pregnancy is over to get rid of those 20 pounds that have crept on with having 4 (now 5!) back to back pregnancies! I have to ask though (sorry if you already answered this), how long did it take? Did you start immediately after the birth of #4? Did it effect your nursing/supply?

Raylene Nicole said...

I LOVE this journey of yours... since I'm a new follower.. I had to get caught up on the previous episodes of this journey... you are so encouraging! The Lord really uses you through these posts... I know for sure b/c He is challenging me... I started about 3 weeks ago trying to lose some weight... I know too many people that have the tendency to become obsessive about it.. and I don't want that to be me... so I have been trying REALLY hard to be smart about how hard core I am...

This post really enlightens me... THANK YOU! I need to spend some time seeking Him first... you're exactly right! b/c so far... the last 3 weeks losing 7lbs has been for my glory only... yikes. how. selfish.

The Peppers said...

I'm so proud of you Grace!! You are amazing!
Love you!!!

Pam said...

Hi again,
I posted on your first installment of your weight loss journey and jumped on board with doing something about my own weight just days after. It has been about 3 weeks and I have dropped 9 lbs, and I was wondering how long it took you to lose the first 20? I'm sticking with this and am committed to my plan, but I find discouragement is always in the back of my mind, can this really keep working? Can't it go faster? Yes I am a little impatient considering I didn't put the weight on overnight I guess it could take some time to come off. I appreciate this post in reminding me to do this for God's glory. Thanks again, Pam

Dorcas said...

WOW! God is amazing!!! WOW! Congratulations on the loss!!!!

~blessings

Dorcas

Grace~The Mommy On the Bus said...

Danielle~ You are SO sweet! Thanks for all your kind words! You are SUCH an encouragement to me!

Pam~ The first 20 took me about 2.5 months I think. Then I was at a holding pattern for a few months and then the last 10 came off in about 2 months.

Hope that helps! Sounds like you're doing GREAT!

Cortney @ evanhaslanded.com said...

Congrats on your weight loss and a deeper walk with the Lord as a result of your struggles. I am sorta in the same spot and never really thought about praying about it and putting it in God's hands. Thanks for your honesty and putting it all out there!

Nashville TV Show said...

Wow! That is such a great post & a very honest & open perspective. Definitely an easy thing to forget about with something like weightloss (I know I have forgotten about it). Thanks for sharing!! And congrats again!

Diana said...

Ohhhhh, Grace... I don't know what to say. I was reading your most current post (Oct. 7 about the meatball hoagies)... and I think the Lord led me to click on this post in the "You might also like:" area underneath.

I have been praying a LOT more as of late... trying to give a humongous amount of my burdens to the Lord, truly HEAVY burdens that have been beating me down the past couple months. One of them being my weight that I gained from migraine meds over the past 3 years. I've been slowly losing the past 6 months, but have stopped and I was getting so frustrated. But I have been "nudged" lately but His still, small voice to give that and all the other problems over to Him. I realize now that I had not completely done that yet with the weight loss part. Now I understand.

Thank you, Grace for sharing this... so that the Lord could lead me here and "hear" Him better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails